Recently I realised that different horses sniffed me from only one side of their face each time, some always going to their left side, some to their right and a very few sniffing from both left and right.
It was with the recent scientific findings that hit the UK news recently regarding horses recognising peoples facial expressions and in the article they stated the left eye seems to pick up danger more quickly. It's on my blog if you want to have a read with radio interview on BBC Radio Kent. https://melaniehetfield-equineservices.com/2016/02/18/horses-and-humans-facial-expressions/
We already know left side and right side differences and how horses react differently depending on what type they are. But I noticed that different horses either used their left or their right side and only a very few choose to use both sides. So I started looking at the temperament of the horse and noting which nostril they use to say hello to me with. Our hot horses all used their right only, our quiet passive ones favored the left nostril. I tried to say hello to them going to their opposite nostril, but each time they always switched to the one they used the first time.
There are only 2 horses on our field out of the 34 I tested this out on that sniffed from both sides. These horses personality are indecisive and thinking a lot about everything you do with them, you have to be extra gentle with them else they take to flight.
Saying hello in Equus, stand out of the horses space right in front of them and reach your head forwards stretching your neck and allow the horse to do the same to you. Blow gently from your nose whilst waiting about the 90% mark and your horse when they choose to will come the other 10% it's at that point they're choose which side they sill say hello with. When they sniff you, blow gently from your nose and then as they breath out gently breath their breath in. As you sniff them make a smile come across your face and blink down then look up at their eyes gently. Keep your eyes soft so not to give a signal to go away.
Will be interesting for your input on this, which side does your horse say hello and what is their personality like? Are they a left sided thinker or right?
Hope that makes sense Vicci, not sure if worded it sufficiently enough.