Forum

Monty Roberts Equus Online University
Horse Training Video Instruction Program

Learn all about Equus • Dually Halter • Shy Boy Mustang • Jumping Horses
• Story of a Horse Whisperer • Riding Horsemanship • Dressage Horses • Willing Partners
• Horse Training • Round Pen Lessons • Performance Horses • Join-Up

← back

Horse Behavior and Training

Why does he circle his head...literally about 200 times, and should I try to correct this?

Hello! 100 lessons completed 150 lessons completed 200 lessons completed 250 lessons completed
Hello,

My pony will move his head in a full clockwise circle over and over again. He will do it if he's at the gate and ready to leave the arena if I allow him to. Last week we put him out in the field alone. He is boarded at a barn and I'm not allowed to take any other horses out with him. I'm guessing that he does this when he is stressed or bored because he is fine when I work with him and fine when the barn owner puts other horses out with him. My question is, should I try to stop it or just accept it as part of his personality?

Thank you!
Kathy
Miriam (Holland&Germany)
Hello! 100 lessons completed 150 lessons completed 200 lessons completed 250 lessons completed 300 lessons completed 350 lessons completed 400 lessons completed 450 lessons completed 500 lessons completed 550 lessons completed 600 lessons completed 650 lessons completed
Hi Kathy,
All vices tell us something the horse doesn't haven words for...
His natural surrounding is an open field with other horses in it, what you describe could mean that he is not comfortable without equine company and eager to go to his friends. Wherever and whenever you can let him be with other horses!
When you work with him, he seems to trust you, so here lies the key to solving your problem. Have you done Join-Up with him? After a couple of Join-Ups he should feel more comfortable when you, his leader, are around and the period of time could increase where he doesn't miss equine company. Realise it's only natural for him to show this behavior, show him he's in trustworthy hands and he'll be able to let the stress go.
Hope this helps, please keep us posted,
Miriam

kathymw
Hello! 100 lessons completed 150 lessons completed 200 lessons completed 250 lessons completed
Thank you so much! I’ve done join up and he’s great when we are working. We will be bringing him home soon and he will not be stalled. I believe that and consistency with me will really help. Thank you so much for replying!
Debbie Roberts Loucks, USA
Hello! 2014 Cyberhunt winner 100 lessons completed 150 lessons completed 200 lessons completed 250 lessons completed 300 lessons completed 350 lessons completed 400 lessons completed 450 lessons completed 500 lessons completed 550 lessons completed 600 lessons completed 650 lessons completed
Dear Kathy,

If this is something he fails to exhibit when riding or handling him, then let's consider it his property and accept the fact that all individuals are just that. Every human has some trait we can label a fingerprint. Its theirs and probably should remain theirs without interference if it hurts no other individual. 

Sincerely,
Monty
kathymw
Thank you! This response makes me feel much better! He does not do this when I work with him or when he's with his friends. So, I'll accept it as part of his way to soothe himself. Thanks for everything!
Kathy